Monday, October 12, 2009

LEARN TO “READ” YOUR DEFENDER

To be successful on offense, it’s true that you need some skill, but more importantly, you need to be able to recognize certain habits your defender has.

The average offensive player doesn’t pay much attention to details about their defender, but if you will ask yourself the following questions, you will quickly realize how your defensive man plays you… and that can give you a huge advantage.

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Does she play off me when I have the ball? How about without the ball?

2. Does she overplay me?

3. Does she turn her head to follow the ball?

4. Does she help out when my teammate drives or becomes open?

5. How does she react on screens?

6. Does she box out on all shots?

7. Does she closeout properly? Can I drive on her?

8. Does she prevent outside shots?

9. Does she protect a particular side on defense?

10. Does she recover fast from offense to defense (transition)?

11. Does she switch on screens?

12. Is she an aggressive defender?

13. Does she foul on the drive?

14. Does she buy a fake?

15. How far out in the backcourt does she pick me up?

(thanks coach Starkey)

No comments: