Monday, August 17, 2009

A SECOND CHANCE TO BE A ROLE MODEL

In an interview with "60 Minutes" that aired Sunday night, Michael Vick said the day he walked into prison he realized "the magnitude of the decisions that I made.” Although it was nice to hear Vick admit blaming no one but himself for landing in prison and losing the $135 million contract that made him the NFL's highest paid player, it was more enlightening hearing him admit that his reputation as a player that didn't work hard and relied mostly on his athletic ability was warranted.

"I was lazy. You know, I was the last guy in the building [gym], first guy out," Vick said. "I know that. You know, I hear everything that people say. And that hurt me when I heard that, but I know it was true."

Although I didn't condone the actions that landed him in prison, I for one, think Michael Vick has paid his debt and I’m glad to see him back in a uniform. However, what pleases me more is to hear him speak of his ordeal. It sounds like he’s been able to grow as a person through his experience and maybe, he can take advanatge of this opportunity to become a real role model based on character and not just on athletic ability alone.

4:13

No comments: