Thursday, February 5, 2009

“I over E” -- Intelligence over Emotion.

I came across an article this morning that discussed various coaching philosophies and why the game has turned into such a half-court X’s & O’s exercise for so many coaches -- which is totally against my way of thinking (coaching).

I believe in allowing players the freedom to play, provided that they understand “how” to play.  

When we teach E2, Equilateral Spacing, Pushing the Ball, Proper Shot Selection, Fakes, etc., those are concepts used to teach players “how to play” the game, rather than teaching “plays.”  There will always be a time & place for plays, but I think it is far more important to teach an athlete “how” to play the game.

As a coach, I can’t control every single play (nor do I want to).  Instead, I have to trust that the five players out on the court understand what it is that we are trying to accomplish (our game plan) and know “how” to play to achieve that objective.  

There have been times when I have had to intervene and calm things down (slow it down).  Those are the times it becomes necessary to remind players to stay calm and analytical.  To remember “I over E” – intelligence over emotion.

4:13

No comments: