Wednesday, February 4, 2009

DO AS I SAY...NOT AS I DO

I usually tell players not to allow a players size or the way a player looks shape their opinion of the player before meeting them on the court.  Because looks can be very decieving.  Yet I did exactly that when Monica asked me if she could tryout for the team.  

I let her "girly" appearance shape my opinion of her abilities before she ever walked onto the court.  In addition, although she had four years of playing time under her belt, she hadn't played ball in three years and I couldn't see how she could possibly help us.

I told her before practice that "we are really too close to the Regional Tournament to add another player to the team.  However, if you can help us I'll consider it."  

Most European players are stereotyped as having solid fundamentals.  After watching her practice last night, I am a believer.  So is coach McDill and most of you that I spoke with last night.  I am convinced that she CAN help us.  She has great footwork (especially on defense), solid fundamentals, and she picked up on everything we did very quickly, even with her broken english (she's Italian).

Please make her feel completely welcome and like a member of the team.  Let's make her time as a Lady Lion one of the best memories of her High School experience in America.

4:13

No comments: