Friday, September 17, 2010

THE PACT


In 1982 a few members of the Minnesota Twins, Gary Gaetti, Kent Hrbek, Gary Ward, and Tom Brunansky made a pact between themselves to be the best they can be by following a set of guidelines shown below.  I have adjusted a few words here and there to apply it basketball.

Be ready to play and be at my best every day.
If that means telling friends, family, etc., that I can’t stay up late the night before a game, so be it. I will be rested and prepared when I go to the gym.  I don't just for myself, but also for my team.

Nothing or no one will get in the way of or distract me from having quality practice and going through my pre-game routines properly.
If that means I need to stay away from friends and fans in order to maintain my focus and be mentally prepared to dominate my opponent, so be it.

Play hard all the time.
I will always be “plugged in” and engaged on every play.  I will always anticipate (never assume). In games, I will show respect to my opponent, but I will not be “Mr. Nice Guy.”  I play to win - period.  If they think I’m a jerk because of the way I play, I’m willing to pay that price.

I will be the intimidator, no one will intimidate me.
When they knock me down or throw a cheap shot at me, I will get up, take my time, get back in, not allowing myself to be upset or distracted (they will not get inside my head). Then I will take that cheap shot to use as motivation and focus that enegery on dominating the next play.  I will be mentally tougher than my opponent.

No matter what happens, I will keep my poise and act professionally.
There’s never an excuse for trash talking, curding, throwing elbows or cheap shots.  That is what those who have trouble competing do out of frustration.

I will be a good teammate.
I will encourage, support, and make sure every one of my teammates is engaged at all times in both practices and games.  It’s not about “me” it’s about “we.”

(Thanks Coach Starkey and Karl Kuehl, John Kuehl, and Casey Tefertiller)

No comments: