Sunday, December 30, 2007

When does 413 become 4:13?


On my way out of the gym last night, a woman sitting near the door motioned me over and asked me “what does 413 mean?” As I gave her a brief explanation, she smiled and fired back “I knew it!” With that, the brief conversation was over and I strolled off. It wasn’t until I was replaying the game through my mind on the long drive home that I started wondering what she meant by “I knew it!” Maybe she knew the verse and just wanted to confirm her suspicion. Maybe the design on the back of our shirt made her wonder, or maybe it was the chant “4:13” as we broke each huddle? Although I’ll never really know, I’d like to imagine that she noticed something distinctly different about our team. Something so unique that it made us stand apart from the other teams at the tournament. And although she couldn’t quite put her finger on what it was that made us different, she recognized that 413, whatever that meant, was at the heart of it.

4:13 is not just a reminder to us, but to all those watching in the stands and on the court, that regardless of the circumstances, regardless of our opponent and regardless of the outcome that we have nothing to fear because Christ is there to strengthen us. It does not mean that we will always win, but when we do, we should win with grace. And if we are to lose, then we should lose with grace.

I am so proud of the way each of you handled yourselves last night not only during the game, but immediately afterward. You showed all those watching what 4:13 is really all about.

HOORA!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

[IMG]http://i11.tinypic.com/71webyv.jpg[/IMG]