Thursday, December 31, 2009

WHO FINISHES THE GAME IS WHAT COUNTS

Far too often, immature players (and parents) place too much emphasis on being one of the starting five. It's not who starts the game that really counts... it's who finishes the game.

Came across an article this morning that is a great example of a veteran player doing what the team needed at the time, and it ended up helping him more in the long run.

---

After struggling in his first 23 games, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich moved forward Antonio McDyess to the bench. The veteran has played better since rookie DeJuan Blair replaced him in the starting lineup.

"That's where I’ve found my comfort zone, coming off the bench," said McDyess. "Coach needed someone coming off the bench who could shoot the ball. I think playing that role has helped me, and anything I can do to help the team, is good."

(San Antonio Express News)

No comments: