Sunday, December 6, 2009

ONE PERSON CANNOT CHANGE ANOTHER

One person cannot change another person.
When I started as a young leader, I thought that a leader could change the people; and boy, did I work at it. I said, “All right, I’m going to give them thoughts, ideas, and principles; and I’m going to change people.”

After several years, I awakened to the thought that the only person who can change himself or herself... is himself or herself.

You can change yourself, but I cannot change you. You see, I am responsible to you but I am not responsible for you; and there is a world of difference between those two. I am responsible for teaching you good leadership. I am responsible for sharing things that can help add value to your life, but you are the only one who can take responsibility to change yourself.

- John Maxwell
(thanks coach Starkey)

No comments: