Friday, September 19, 2008

How To Handle It...A Lesson On Maturity

One of the most difficult decisions a coach has to make is to cut a player. No one likes being told that they need more work to make the team. The second-most difficult decision a coach has to make is to reduce the playing time of one athlete and give those same minutes to another in order to put the five players on the floor that fit best together.

Players that end up with fewer minutes rarely understand that the coach is just trying to put together the combination of talent that gives the team the best chance of success for the offensive or defensive system being used. Instead of understanding, the athlete often takes it personally and they begin to use excuses such as “the coach doesn’t like me” or “he won’t give me a chance.” When an athlete spends time dwelling on these type of negative emotions, it doesn’t do a single thing to improve the athlete’s skill set which is what is needed to earn more minutes on the court.

I came across the following article in the Seattle Times that shows an athlete with some uncommon maturity about being benched…

Vikings bench Jackson, turn to Frerotte
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — With the passing offense sputtering in two losses to open the season, Minnesota coach Brad Childress decided the Vikings can no longer afford to let Tarvaris Jackson learn on the job.

"I'm just not seeing right now the aggressiveness from Tarvaris that I saw throughout the off-season, training camp, the two preseason games that he played in," Childress said. Jackson completed just 51 percent of his passes this season. He threw a game-ending interception at Green Bay that sealed the Packers victory and was partly responsible for the offense sputtering and settling for five field goals and scoring no touchdowns in an 18-15 loss to the Colts.


When interviewed, Jackson responded the right way to being benched after two games in favor of another player, here it is:

"I could easily hold my head low, keep my head down, you know, be a cancer to the team. I'm still frustrated and mad about the situation, but I'm going to use that as motivation to try to get better and just better myself for the future and be ready for my next opportunity."

Minnesota Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson didn't just say the right thing, he nailed it. He was honest ("I'm frustrated and mad..."), but he was professional and put the team's well-being first. No drama. No whining. Fully accountable.

It's also incredibly rare.

4:13

No comments: