Wednesday, October 13, 2010

SOME GET IT... SOME DON'T

The role of a coach is far more than just teaching X’s & O’s to athletes or attempting to win games.  We’re here to teach life lessons through sports to young and hopefully impressionable minds.  We’re here to strengthen their character, to empower them with confidence and leadership, and to point them in the right direction for the “game of life.”  Some get it… and some don’t.

Last night I sat and listened to a couple of our veteran players share what our program has meant to them with a couple of younger players.  I heard a veteran player say “my time here in this program has been a life changing experience. It has completely shaped my life and who I am.”  Hearing that was worth more to me than any paycheck I’ve ever received.

With Tryouts beginning across the country this week , I thought it would be a good time to remind coaches that it’s not always about winning.

4:13

No comments: