Monday, January 25, 2010

WHY NOT YOUR BEST?

Former President Jimmy Carter wrote a book inspired by a job interview Carter had with Admiral Rickover.

Carter had applied for the nuclear submarine program, and Admiral Rickover was interviewing him for the job.

The interview consisted of Carter discussing any topic he chose. Carter said he chose topics he was most comfortable with - current events, tactics, etc. The interview continued for two hours while Rickover would ask him questions, increasing in difficulty. Carter soon figured out he did not know as much as he thought he did and the Admiral knew much more than Carter had imagined.

From President Carter - ”Finally he asked me a question and I thought I could redeem myself. He said, ‘How did you stand in your class at the Naval Academy?’ ...I swelled my chest with pride and answered, “Sir, I stood 59th in a class of 820!” I sat back to wait for the congratulations - which never came.

Instead the question: “Did you do your best?”

I started to say, “Yes, sir,” but I remembered who this was and the classes, tactics, seamanship, etc and I could have done better...I finally gulped and said, No sir, I didn’t always do my best.” He looked at me for a long time, and then turned his chair around to end the interview.

He asked me one final question, which I have never be able to forget - or to answer. He said, “Why not?”

(thanks Coach Brown)

No comments: