Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Recipe for Success

In my short time as a basketball coach, I’ve coached a total of seven different teams. I've coached some good teams and I've coached some bad teams. I've coached a team with huge potential that underachieved and I've coached a team with little potential that overachieved. I've coached a team where the players dreaded going to practice and I've coached a team where the players couldn't wait to get to the gym.

In team sports, there is a very fine line between success and failure. Which side of that fine line a team will ultimately drift toward is usually decided by something beyond athletic talent. It comes down to an often misused term - team chemistry. The term ‘team chemistry’ is often mistakenly used by sports fans to describe why a team is so successful, but the truth is that every team has it’s own team chemistry, be it good or bad. And that chemistry is determined by the overall attitude of every player on the team.

Fill a roster with players that are unselfish, professional in their approach to improvement (regardless of how good or bad their skills may be), that practice & play with tremendous heart, and that truly care about each other, and success is almost guaranteed.

4:13

No comments: